September 27, 2022
September 1, 2021
Table of Contents
Mice invade people’s homes in search of food, shelter and water. Mice infestation is a common household problem, difficult to manage and a nuisance. Mice are notorious for wreaking havoc like stealing food, chewing on electrical wires and fabric, eating paper and documents, contaminating your food, spreading diseases and littering the whole place with their excretion and urine that contains bacteria and viruses.
Mice breed fast and are hard to get rid of once their population grows bigger. Mice can infest offices, hospitals, and abandoned buildings as long the said place offers food, shelter and warmth to them. Now let’s discuss the tips to get rid of mice and ways to prepare for mice extermination.
Useful Tips To Getting Rid Of Mice
These are common ways to get rid of a mice infestation without the help of a professional mice exterminator. These tips are more effective for getting rid of small infestations. Below you will find a list of tips that you can use to get rid of mice.
Seal Off Openings And Tiny Holes
Mice can squeeze themselves into a building through tiny holes and cracks on walls, windows, and doors. Sealing off these entry points with aluminium foil or duct tape can help to keep the mice out. Always keeping your doors and windows close can also help keep the mice out.
Use Essential Oils
The smell of essential oils like clove oil and peppermint oil acts as a natural repellent to mice. Place cotton balls soaked with these essential oils in places mice frequent in your home like drawers, cupboards, food storage units and near the entry points. Please note that this method is not 100% effective but can go a long way to help you get rid of mice.
Set Mice Traps
Traps help to capture mice while they are still alive. Set traps at areas that mice frequent at night and ensure to check your traps every morning. Place delicious treats like peanuts and cheese close to the traps to attract mice. When your trap catches mice, release the captured mice miles away from your residential area. Take care not to touch the mice as they could be carrying diseases.
Use A Cat
Cats and mice are natural enemies. Cats will always hunt and kill mice. If no one in your house is allergic to cats, you should consider getting a cat as it is one of the most effective ways to get rid of mice. The presence of a cat will help to keep mice away from your home.
Professional Extermination of Mice
In case your residence has a severe mice infestation or you experience difficulty trying to get rid of the mice in your home, contacting a professional mice exterminator would be a good option. Professional mice exterminators are licensed to use certain chemicals and employ effective techniques. When you reach out to any local pest control company like Pest Aid to help with your mice infestation, there are a few things you should expect:
- Mice extermination experts from the pest control company come over to examine your house and determine the kind of mice infestation you have.
- Next, the experts create an extermination plan tailored down to your mice infestation problem.
- They give you price quotations, explain the techniques they will employ to get rid of mice and give you an estimate of the period the extermination process might take.
- Finally, they tell you how to prepare your home for extermination.
How Exterminators Get Rid Of Mice
Mice exterminators follow carefully laid down procedures to get rid of mice. They adopt techniques that are effective for different species of mice and degrees of infestation. Let’s take a look at the procedures they follow.
Through The Elimination Of Entry Points
This is the first step that a reliable pest control company will take. A mice exterminator will examine the interiors and exteriors of your home, identify the entry points and seal them up with sheet metal, wire mesh or hardware cloth. The exterminator will ensure they properly secure the seal to prevent the entry or exit of mice. These entry points can include pipes and vents.
Setting Up Of Traps
Next, the mice exterminator will place traps at strategic places in your basement, kitchen, attic, bedroom and bathrooms. They use different types of traps like glue traps, snap traps and other live capture traps. This method helps to control a smaller population of mice infestation. In the event of a large infestation, this technique will help to reduce the population of mice.
Using Bait Stations
Bait stations are similar to traps but kill mice, unlike traps that capture them alive. Bait stations utilise the technique of providing accessible poisoned treats for the mice to eat and die. The mice exterminator returns after some days to remove the bodies of dead mice to prevent hygiene-related problems and bad smells from plaguing the home. This technique reduces the population of mice and gets rid of mice faster.
Fumigation is a pest control method that is also effective for getting rid of mice. It is the last resort method used by mice exterminators when all other extermination techniques fail to get rid of mice. This technique is expensive, dangerous and might require you and your family to vacate the house for several days or weeks. Magnesium Phosphide, Aluminium Phosphide, Carbon Dioxide and Methyl Bromide are some chemicals exterminators use for fumigation.
In case your home is booked for fumigation, here are some of the things to do to prepare for it:
- Start by making arrangements for a place to stay during the fumigation period as your house will be full of poisonous gases which are unsafe for you and your family. The mice exterminator will notify you when it’s safe to return to your home.
- Next, put a call across to your gas company and notify them about your home fumigation so they can cut the supply of gas to your home. Cutting off your gas supply will help avoid explosions that could result from the gas reacting with the corrosive chemicals used for fumigation.
- Seal up all your food and consumables in an airtight storage unit. Do not forget to remove the canned and non-perishables in your fridge and store them too.
- Ensure to unplug all your electrical appliances like air conditioners, heaters, and freezers before leaving your home. Also, pack up your plates, clothes and store them in a safe place.
- Leave all doors leading to the bedroom, attic, basement and kitchen open because this gives room for the chemicals to spread to every part of your home and get rid of all the mice. A closed-door will hinder the gas and provide a haven for the mice.
- Finally, leave a copy of your house key with the mice exterminator to provide unhindered access to your home. It also makes the extermination process easier.
Mice infestation is difficult to manage and can take months to get rid of the mice. A small infestation is inexpensive and sometimes might not require the services of a professional mice exterminator to solve. However, do contact your local pest control company to help you solve your mice infestation issues.