More than 12,500 of an estimated total of 22,000 of ant species have been classified. Ants form colonies that range in size from a few dozen predatory individuals living in small natural cavities to highly organised colonies that may occupy large territories and consist of millions of individuals. Ant colonies are described as super organisms because the ants appear to operate as a unified entity, collectively working together to support the colony.
Their success in so many environments in have been attributed to their social organisation and their ability to modify habitats, tap resources, and defend themselves. Their long co-evolution with other species has led to mimetic, commensal, parasitic, and mutualistic relationships.
ISSUES & DAMAGE ANT INFESTATIONS CAUSE
Ants aren’t just a nuisance, they can also do some serious damage. If you’ve discovered an infestation in your home or at the workplace, it’s time to call Pest Aid, your local ant pest control specialist.
- Most ant species can cause nasty bites, some species such as fire ants and hopper ants can cause anaphylactic reactions
- They can damage cables of appliances or any electric wires
- Ants can cause electric blackouts
- They can cause phone and computer network damage
- Ants can cause electrical fires when infesting power sockets
- They infest and spoil food products
- Ants attract other pest as they are often a source of food for other pest such as spiders